Mario Ortega is an associate based in Los Angeles. He represents companies and management representatives in all types of employment litigation, including discrimination, harassment, retaliation, and wage-and-hour matters in both the single-plaintiff and class action context.
Mario has defended employers in state and federal courts throughout California, and has secured a number of victories for his clients at the pleadings, class certification, and summary judgment stages, as well as on appeal. In recent years, he has, among other things:
• Secured multiple summary judgment wins for clients in a variety of industries, including banking, insurance, and food processing companies;
• Secured summary judgment in a breach of contract and tortious interference action filed by a client’s former president;
• Coordinated a declaration gathering campaign and authored briefing in opposition to a motion for class certification, defeating plaintiffs’ bid to certify a statewide class of store managers in an overtime exemption misclassification action;
• Briefed a successful motion for judgment on the pleadings, resulting in dismissal of plaintiffs’ representative claims for civil penalties under the California Private Attorneys General Act (PAGA);
• Briefed a variety of other successful motions and oppositions, including a motion to compel arbitration, an opposition to a plaintiff’s motion to remand a wage-and-hour class action from federal court to state court, an opposition to a motion for leave to intervene filed by settlement objectors in a putative wage-and-hour class action, and an opposition to a plaintiff’s motion to quash a client’s subpoenas; and
• Briefed a successful appeal before the Ninth Circuit, resulting in a published decision that set a new, defendant-friendly evidentiary standard for evaluating removals under the Class Action Fairness Act (CAFA).
Prior to joining GBG, Mario was an associate in the employment law department of Paul Hastings LLP. He received his J.D. from New York University School of Law, where he served as an editor for the NYU Journal of Law and Business.
New York University School of Law, J.D., 2010
California State University Fullerton, B.A., Political Science, 2006, magna cum laude